Terms and Conditions for Cooper Contracts South East Ltd
These terms and conditions explain the rights and responsibilities of the client and Cooper Contracts Limited
1. Cooper Contracts Ltd will provide all customers with a written estimate, which will include sufficient detail for the completion of the works. If any clarification is required, please contact us so that we can provide it. Extra works can be provided subject to a written confirmation including cost but it may not always be possible to complete additional work immediately and this may have to be scheduled for a later date.
2. Once an estimate has been accepted (either verbally, in writing) and the client has paid their deposit, then a contract has been entered into and these terms will come into effect. Estimates are valid for three months from the date of issue.
3. All prices quoted in the estimate are calculated on the basis of free access and unimpeded working during our normal working hours (8am – 4pm Mon – Fri), unless otherwise agreed. Please note that we may be on site until 6pm or on a Saturday. We will get prior agreement with the client should this happen.
4. All prices (materials and labour) are estimated only and are based on the information given by the customer in respect of the work required. Any variations or requests for changes or additions made by the customer to the original work schedule will incur additional charges and will be invoiced accordingly. Cooper Contracts reserve the right to amend the original estimate of costs to reflect changes made by the customer once work has commenced.
5. It is the customer’s responsibility to arrange planning permission, building control and any utility changes. If planning permission is required for the work, Cooper Contracts Ltd may request to see proof that this has been agreed prior to beginning work.
6. Commencement of work is under the assumption of uninterrupted work for the duration of the contract and in accordance with planning permission where applicable. Cooper Contracts will not be held liable for any costs incurred as a result of delays due to unforeseen circumstances. (eg planning permission delays resulting in work having to stop). Cooper Contracts will not be held liable for any delays as a result of the client making amendments to the agreed estimate once work has commenced.
7. Cooper Contracts Ltd will agree all practical arrangements with regards to working methods with the client in order to provide minimum disruption to the client and allow work to be carried out efficiently by the contractor.
8. Free access is required for delivery of building materials, plant, machinery, skips etc.
9. All used or removed materials on-site remain the property of Cooper Contracts Ltd and will be disposed of accordingly,
10. Cooper Contracts Ltd may directly employ or sub contract labour to work on site. Each sub-contractor takes full responsibility for their own third party liability. Plumbing subcontracts are CORGI registered. Electricians are Part P certified. Cooper Contracts Ltd will oversee all works to completion and takes full general and operational responsibility in the running of any contract agreed with the client.
11. Cooper Contracts Ltd will require a 30% deposit prior to the commencement of any work, staged payments and an end payment upon completion of works. Deposits are non-refundable and allow Cooper Contracts to book work in and agree a formal start date for works and purchase materials. Please note: In the very unlikely event that Cooper Contracts Ltd have to cancel your work, your deposit will be fully refunded.
12. Invoices will be sent out when they become due for payment. Payments must be made in a timely manner or work progress may be impeded or ceased (in the case of nonpayment). Payments can be made by cheque or cash but bank transfer is our preferred method. All invoices include our bank details for bank transfers.
13. Insurance – Public Liability and Employers’ Liability: Cooper Contracts Ltd has Public Liability Insurance and Employers’ Liability to the sum of £5,000,000. All usual general building practices are covered within our insurance policy.
14. All client information is retained in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1988 and all personal and other client details will remain confidential.
15. Guarantees on materials used by us run in accordance with manufacturer’s warranty periods where applicable. Our guarantee covers all new work and new materials used in construction or repairs, but does not guarantee the integrity of any existing structures, materials or decorations. In the event of a failure beyond the guarantee period we will be happy to investigate the cause and negotiate a solution to the problem without delay and carry out any agreed repairs as soon as possible. Charges may apply for remedial work carried out beyond guarantee dates or to items not covered by our guarantee.
16. No responsibility is taken by Cooper Contracts Ltd for the presence of perished or rotten timber (or any other perished or rotten materials) in existing structures such as doors, windows and frames whether detected or undetected at the time of contract.
17. We will not be held responsible for the suitability of existing boilers ability to provide for additional plumbing works. If an existing boiler is found to be unsuitable, this shall be discussed with the client and any parts required shall be supplied at trade cost. If we have to remove existing radiators for any reason (eg plastering) we will not be held responsible for their effectiveness once they are replaced.
18. Cooper Contracts Ltd will endeavour to protect existing surfaces with the use of dustsheets and loose plastic sheeting etc, along with care in our working practice. However, responsibility for protection from damage of any existing surface or fabrics etc is the responsibility of the client. Arrangement can be made to put in place protection of existing surfaces, over and above our basic cover, at a negotiated additional cost. We strongly recommend the clients moves any expensive or sentimental items before work commences. If we are required to move furniture to undertake our work we will not be held responsible for any breakages or stains that may occur. We advise clients to keep all valuables and expensive items safe and secure for the duration of the works, as we cannot be held liable for any theft or loss.
19. Discounts and retentions: Prices are based on the understanding that no retentions are held unless previously arranged and authorised. No Main Contractor or Sub Contractor discounts are given unless agreed and confirmed in writing.
20. Any property rights, title or ownership in any property or materials which are used by Cooper Contracts Ltd in providing or delivering the service shall remain with Cooper Contracts Ltd until the Client has made payment in full in cleared funds into our bank account.
21. We will endeavour to employ a helpful attitude at all times and will always attempt to bring the building works to a satisfactory conclusion as soon as possible taking into account weather conditions, availability of specialist materials and unforeseen circumstances etc.
22. Cooper Contracts Ltd take pictures of the progress of our projects. We reserve the right to use these pictures in our portfolio of work, on our website and on various social media websites for marketing and information purposes. Please let us know via email at the start of your work if you are not happy with this.